New York & New Jersey
As the volume of export grain shipments increased on the eastern seabord, the FGIS decided to open both states for designation and requested applicants through the Federal Register. The D.R. Schaal Agency, Inc. was selected from several applicants and in June of 2008 an official office was opened in N. Bergen, New Jersey.
Containerized grain shipping was a new concept that was gaining popularity with export shippers. It provided many advantages over bulk freight shipments for both exporters and their customers. The supply of empty containers in the United States made freight rates appealing. Exporters could now ship a handful of containers to multiple locations at a standard rate without having to contract an entire bulk freight ship. Containers could also be easily offloaded and taken to inland destinations thus expanding the export grain market area.
Port of Newark-Elizabeth Expansion Plan:
D. R. Schaal Agency, Inc.
2200 Secaucus Rd.
North Bergen, NJ 07047
The D. R. Schaal Agency, Inc. is currently providing the following services to New Jersey and New York:
- Grading of grains for which the USDA has established standards
- Container stowage examinations
- Phytosanitary inspections
- Issuance of FGIS form 921-2 “Inspection Report-Insects in Grain"
- FGIS Official Grain Weights
- Weighing services under “The Agricultural Marketing Act”
- Sampling of grain products